Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Henry is quilted


This started out as a drawing of a model from my life drawing class on some twill fabric with some conte and marker. I added some acrylic ink set by heat, then washed out the conte. It is about 4' by 5' and backed with muslin. This is my first quilt so a big learning experience. I'm not sure I'm through with it. I wanted to add some references to language on it. My aging husband is having some short term memory loss and frequently struggles for language. These symbols represent those word and thoughts that are floating out there beyond reach. The whole project was fun to do and I think there will be more to follow this one.

4 comments:

suzanne cabrera said...

This is a wonderful application of a contour drawing. I often think that while they are beautiful in their own regard, such drawings can benefit from another dimension....way to create that dimension!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Very interesting Kay

Betty said...

Kay
I think you are on to something! What a great idea to combine your ability to draw with your ability to sew!!
Betty

Moriah & Amelia said...

WOW!