Thursday, May 08, 2008

Dear Eckhart Tolle



Dear Eckhart Tolle

Dear Eckhart Tolle,
I'm having an Ego moment or more like an hour, hopefully not a day. You see, I've been spring cleaning...amazing but true. I went through my clothes and pulled out many garments that I no longer wear, either because my body doesn't fit in them anymore or I'm tired of them or I don't go anywhere that warrants panty hose, etc. I took 3 bags to Goodwill and a car load to the church for their garage sale and gave 4 pieces to a friend who was delighted. I saved out 4 of the very best, most awesome, most adored, in the very best of shape to take to the consignment shop. One of them is the pictured dress I once wore at my son's wedding and considered it my very best dress up garment should there ever be another dress event in my life. Well, after 12 years there hasn't been...definitely a commentary of my lack of social importance...so it, too, joined the consignment store group.
Well, after touring the local consignment stores, I can tell you it ain't good news. Life is sad when no consignment store will take your very best..."out of date" I'm told. When did I lost touch? I was once a fashion diva. One shirt and pants I just bought last year and the Mother of the Groom dress (known as MOG) was only worn once. I was told "they are wearing much simpler now". Looks pretty simple to me. Maybe that was just their kind way of saying "We hate it". I love this dress and I look smashing in it! So what the hey...I'll just put it on and stroll through Wal-Mart. Now where are those matching shoes! Maybe I'll get a corsage to go with it for Mother's Day to wear to IHOP for our Mother's Day brunch. Or should I save for another 20 years to be buried in or is that another EGO moment? Please, Eckhart, tell me, tell me.
Sincerely, Kay Cox

3 comments:

Dana S. Whitney said...

Wonderful, heartfelt post. I talked to a woman of a certain age this afternoon... she'd been a prodigious dressmaker until meds for arthritis made her unable to wield shears or basting pins. We lamented together about the deplorable state of ready to wear AND designer clothing/knits. I think your blue dress would work anywhere. Perhaps Ebay would be better than consignment....

Lisa Adams Reed said...

I can't stop laughing and relating to your MOG prob! I recently downsized and purged many of my worldly belongings. I resorted to a garage sale and still no one wanted my "precious" stuff! It certainly put things in perspective for me! One more place to try in Houston--Blue Bird Circle Resale. Love that place.

Enjoy the pictures of yourself in that dress and get rid of it---so freeing!
Lisa

Quilt knit said...

I am laughing too! About the garage sale! Make Money, The ebay, they buy anything, the consignment shops, and yes, the art shops want prints!
Oh! You should take them the Slip you wore under it! They would surely know that is the dress to wear.
This is too funny! It is a beautiful dress.
ebay may very well be the way to go.
My ebay friend put Her old Leather white jacket up for sell, with a vintage stain- It went for $65.00.
Your dress should get a much better offer.
Put a reserve or just enjoy the fun.
((( Circle of Blue Dress Hugs)))

Sherrie Roberts